What are Surgery options

982 viewsCanine Arthritis Management
0

Scout had an avulsion fracture of the shoulder  and had his biceps tendon cut. His shoulder always remained inflamed and he had rest steroid injections cartrophen  platelet rich plasma and nothing worked. He is now on anti inflammatories and yu move and hydro etc and spcialist vet thinks he has DJD as joint taps all show mild to moderate inflammation

I know surgery is often mentioned including joint replacements.. although not seen a shoulder replacement as a common operation.  How us it decided that a dog us a suitable candidate for different types of surgery and how effective are the different types of surgery.  After my boys initial operation not being the magic fix all I think would not expect it to be a miracle and maybe that he not ready at this stage but as a young dog if its a future possibility.  Current specialist thinks he has done all he can for him at this time.

Answered question
0

Apologies for the delay in responding, my phone seems to give me trouble logging in and my work have decided the website is on the not allowed at work list – I have logged on properly to respond!

He had a bad few days and I think I was feeling a bit down about it all but he has bounced back

I guess was just a curious question really about how they decide when the time is right for surgery and what the options are –  in my mind I would assume should he start to deteriorate on a constant ongoing basis then more images would be taken.

He is on previcox & Yumove advance and we do physio at home and water treadmill.  He is only 5, and struggled to enjoy a 15 minute walk before the meds.   Assume also may have bad days but overall he is doing great.

I just wasn’t really sure what the surgeries available were, i.e. as you mention ‘clean up’ type operations through to joint replacements, and how effective they all tend to be.

 

W

Answered question
0

great answer Kathryn…

I would imagine in this situation a conservative approach would be a surgeons initial plan… keeping an eye on the lameness, the range of motion, the muscle mass, even using force plate analysis or pressure mats to monitor whether there is subtle slow deterioration…so that further intervention can be sought if required.

it would be great to get more biological/regen specialists on here to make comment re the use of stem cells/ further PRP.

as well as laser, extracorporeal shock wave therapy etc specialists…. I will see who I can recruit… it might be worth visiting a chronic pain clinic that is connected to further specialist orthopaedics and see if a combined rehab approach plus orthopaedic surveillance may help?

Hannah

Answered question
0

Imaging of the joints would be a key part of deciding on surgery. This may be X-rays or it may be more advanced imaging like a CT scan. There certainly are surgical options for many joint issues including, like you say, joint replacements but also, for example, removal of pieces of loose bone from the joint via arthroscopy (a camera placed into the joint to guide surgery). It is good that the surgeons/specialists done feel he needs surgery at this stage. Perhaps make use of our “good day bad day” chart and other resources on the website to guide when you feel he is getting worse and other treatments may need considering or putting into place.

What measures do you currently have in place for him?

Answered question

Categories

Question and answer is powered by AnsPress.io