Surgery for elbow osteoarthritis – help

1.28K viewsArthritis
0

Heidi is 5 years old and a German Shepherd x Collie. She was diagnosed with Fragmented Coronoid Process at 2.5 years old and she had arthroscopies in both elbows to remove fragments of bone. Recovery went well and she was sound for approximately 2years. 6 months ago she started to limp again and it became progressively worse. We finally got referred to the specialist vet at the beginning of June and he talked us through all our options from pain management, injections of Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and briefly touched on surgery. We opted for another CT scan to see the level of progression and the PRP injections. The CT scan showed significant advancement in the osteoarthritis in both her elbows. The first round of PRP injections didn’t do anything for her unfortunately so we went back to the vets last week. He said we can have another round of PRP injections as sometimes dogs do not respond to the first. He also talked us through two surgical procedures that Heidi would be suitable for as long as the lateral compartment of her elbow is still healthy. We would do the right elbow first as this seems significantly worse at the moment. Both surgeries sound pretty scary. I wasn’t ready to make surgery decisions at that time so opted for some more PRP injections and these seem to of given Heidi some slight relief. I’m currently trying to research the two procedures which are bioblique proximal ulna osteotomy (BOPUO) and unicompartmental elbow replacement (CUE) so would love to know if anyone has had any experience with these please? It’s such a difficult call to make but my feeling is that if she needs surgery then having it done sooner rather than later must make sense… I’m just not sure how to approach knowing what the best options are for Heidi.

Answered question
0

Hi Sian, as you know my 9yo Lab has elbow OA as well.  He’s 9 so the surgery desison is really hard, as you say they are large surgeries.  The only one suggested for Gillie is the CUE surgery which I’ve been researching.  I found a YouTube channel from a canine physio in the states who recorded her 8yo labs recovery which is quite interesting.

You can also watch the surgery, which has put me off somewhat for Gillie due to his age but Heidi is a good bit younger than him.

I know just how hard the decision is, if only they could speak!

Answered question
0

Thanks for these Bev, once I’m done with work today I’ll have a good look. She really looked crap today. I thought I was going to have to get the husband to come pick us up from our 15 minute walk. The husband wants another consultation before we make our minds up how we proceed. It is so very difficult. Xx

Answered question
0

Sounds like another consult would be a good idea – maybe take a note pad with you and jot down all the pros and cons of each? Ask about different recovery times, success rates, surgeons preference/which they are more confident with in a dog of her size/with her condition… decide what is most important to you out of those things and go from there

Answered question
0

http://www.veterinary-instrumentation.co.uk/skin1/admin/UserFiles/CUE%20Report%202012.pdf

here is a link to a trial regarding this surgery. I have a lot of time for one of the consultants in the trial

x

Answered question
0

Thanks everyone, and thanks Hannah for the link regarding CUE… I’ll have a read.

I had an appointment with the referral vet yesterday and he did see some improvement in Heidi from her two sets of PRP injections but I think this was just her making me out to be neurotic. At home she always looks lame. I forgot to ask the referral vet yesterday but I’m presuming PRP treatment is a temporary measure and therefore if she has very little cartilage left in her elbows (right currently a lot worse) we would have to manage it with painkillers, anti-inflams, alternative therapies, controlled exercise for the rest of her life (she’s 5). So in her case and the referral vet has agreed she is a good candidate surgery would once recovered give her a better quality of life (as long as there are no complications). At the moment and since Christmas really she has been on reduced walks 10/15 minutes on lead, garden visits on lead and is continuously limping despite being on Previcox and at the moment a herbal pain killer. So for a 5 year old German Shepherd x Collie this really isn’t fair in my eyes. We try and do scent training and low key trick training to pass the time and tire her brain a little. Any way because the vet saw a little bit of improvement and because we still were in discussions about what surgery we came away for a couple of weeks to think through our options. The vet said try upping her walk to 20mins and then the following week 25mins and see how she gets on. I have a hydro appointment with the lovely Jane at 121 Animal Therapy next week and also a physio appointment so will discuss through everything with them. I’m so desperate to make the right choice for her in whether to put her through surgery (I’m thinking yes) and then finally which of the two surgeries to opt for. Any words of wisdom would be amazing and apologies for the waffle. I’ve spend many a sleepless night worrying over my sensitive rescue. She deserves the best. CAM has been invaluable to me these last few months 🙂

Answered question

Categories

Question and answer is powered by AnsPress.io