902 viewsCanine Arthritis Management

I have a young (5 yrs old) Labradoodle called Ursa. She was diagnosed with spondylosis two and a half years ago; she also has OA in her elbow after an op for FMCP when she was two years old and there is evidence of mild OA in other joints as well. The affected areas of her spine are in the lumbosacral and cervicothoracic areas; the LS confirmed by X ray and the CT symptomatically. Last summer she had a major bout of something my physio calls “a first rib problem” which she was able to fix with manipulation; the severe forelimb lameness lasted six weeks (until I could see her physio). Then about two months ago she had another bout of intense lameness which was gone after night’s rest.


For the last few weeks she clearly has pain when getting up from rest. It’s always the same limb (left foreleg) but within a few strides she appears completely sound. There is absolutely no sign of discomfort once she’s up and running (literally!).


My understanding of a “first rib problem” is that it’s akin to thoracic outlet syndrome in humans, and as far as I can establish it is neurological pain produced by the nerves which emerge from the neck being irritated by bony anatomy which is slightly out of line. (None of her vets have heard of it.)  So I wonder if the lameness I’m seeing is likely to be neuropathic rather than osteoarthritic?  Could it be that the nerves in her neck cause pain which then dissipates once she’s standing up because her spine realigns in some way?

It’s hard to explain to my vet because all he sees is an apparently sound dog in his surgery.  I recently changed vets because they all just said “oh it’s arthritis, just give her painkillers” – a decision I think was vindicated when the physio cured the problem with manipulation.

I have an arsenal of drugs to use when I see symptoms, but I honestly don’t see any improvement.  We have Previcox and Pardale with Tramadol as a last resort (I’ve never used it).  However I wonder if the reason they don’t seem to affect this initial lameness is that NSAIDs don’t deal with neuropathic pain? I’ve been reading about Gabapentin and do wonder if that’s a option worth exploring?  With the support of the vet and physio I’ve tried to keep her off a daily drugs regime, because she’s so young;  we’ve all felt it would be better to wait until she clearly needs them.   If this is now, then of course I will start to give her a daily dose, but I’d like to see some benefit!

I’m not entirely sure where to go from here.  A very kind person in the Holly’s Army group on Facebook suggested seeking a referral, which I’m sure the vet would do, but I’d really welcome advice on which path to choose.  Is this initial lameness on rising a sign of things to come?  And if so is there something I should be doing now?  She has regular osteopathic treatment (which has been brilliant for her), laser treatment (from both the physio and the osteopath), physio when she’s symptomatic and we’re going back to hydro after a three month break next week.  I’m sorry to say that the vet has become almost peripheral in caring for her!  We’re based in mid-Sussex, near Brighton, so the Surrey referral centres are within reasonably easy reach.

Answered question

Hi Kathryn
Our physio is Sara Barnes, and Ursa gets laser whenever we visit.  We don’t visit that often – maybe every three months, on average, but the gaps can be six months apart.
We’ve actually just got back from a visit to the osteopath, who was the person who got her sitting straight for the first time in her life (rather than tipped onto one “buttock” as it were).  She was the first adjunctive therapist we saw, and it was the hydrotherapist who recommended Sara the physio (not the vet!).    Chantal (the osteopath) suggested that we should pay Sara a visit to discuss whether it’s a good idea to start low dose analgesia on a daily basis.  I also had a response from Hannah which went a long way to reassuring me that the lameness I’m seeing is as a result of existing OA in her operated elbow rather than some kind of neuropathic pain from her cervical spondylosis.  So now the remaining question is whether I should be giving her a regular dose of NSAIDs rather than when I see symptoms.  As I said in my OP we’re going back to hydrotherapy after a three month break (Christmas/Weddings/just very busy!) and I’m sure that will help enormously.  (Also she loves swimming above just about anything…)

Answered question
You are viewing 1 out of 6 answers, click here to view all answers.


Question and answer is powered by AnsPress.io